Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Artist Statement

            The kind of photography that I enjoy shooting the most, is concert photography.  I love capturing a moment during a live show that catches the essence of what is happening on stage.  I love looking back at an image and getting the rush of being right back in that particular moment all over again.  I’m not talking about a snap shot of a performer on stage.  I am talking about capturing the feelings, whether the feeling is some kind of sadness or glee, which the artist on stage is trying to portray to the audience.  Especially since I don’t get to choose the lighting at a concert, it makes it that much harder to capture that particular moment.  However, once I get a shot that I’m satisfied with, I usually know it.  That doesn’t mean that I’m going to stop shooting though.  You never know, I might be lucky enough to get more than one shot that really speaks to me.  There are a few photographers that I look up to in this field.  Just to name a few, Bob Gruen, Oliver Walker and Paul Hebert are the ones that I get inspired from the most.  I’ve come across their images from different shows that I wasn’t at, but the feeling the image gives me makes me feel like I was right in the front row.  That’s what I want to portray in my work.  I want someone to feel the music coming out of a soundless image that is exploding with feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment